Earning and Spending Experience
At any time in a session, though more commonly at the end of play, you could be awarded with XP that you can choose to spend, or save toward a long term goal. XP can be used to increase the rank of an attribute, learn a new skill, add or increase the level of a Benefit, and so on. Experience is granted as a combination of General Experience (GXP) and Skill Experience (SXP). Skill Experience may only be spent on raising Skill Ranks while General Experience may be spent on anything other than skills.
Typically, XP is awarded per unit of time spent role-playing, not based on encounter results or things killed, as in other systems. This is done to encourage actual play time and discourage fighting encounters simply for the sake of earning experience.
A campaign's general difficulty, referred to as its Campaign Rank (or Campaign Tier), should be based on the average experience of the players.
Spending General Experience
General Experience (GXP) may be spent to unlock a number of varied benefits.
Improving Character Statistics
The primary Statistics (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WILL, CHA) may be raised with GXP.
- Non-Favored Stat: 5 GXP per rank (*/10/15/20/25)
- Favored Stat: 5 GXP per rank, with a 10 GXP reduction for rank 4 (5*/10/15/10/25)
- All characters' Primary Statistics start at Rank 1.
5 GXP per rank (*/10/15/20/25)
- All characters' Magic statistic starts at Rank 1, and may not be raised during character creation without spending GXP.
Unlocking Character Benefits
- 3 GXP per rank (3/6/9/12/15)
Unlocking a new, higher Rank of a Sphere, Seed, Domain, Spirit, or Discipline requires that the character first increase their Magic Statistic to equal the value of the desired Rank - 1. For example, a Mage wishing to increase their Fire Sphere Rank from 2 to 3 must first pay 10 GXP to raise her Magic stat from 1 to 2.
- The cost of unlocking a new Rank is 5 GXP times the Rank (5/10/15/20/25)
Purchasing Additional Powers
When a Rank is unlocked, the character may freely purchase additional spells of the same Source (equal to their current Rank or lower) at a reduced cost.
- The cost of purchasing each additional spell is 2 GXP times the Rank of the spell (2/4/6/8/10)
- A Rank 4 spell is 8 GXP
- Sorcerous Fusion Spells may only be purchased after the caster has unlocked the prerequisite sorcerous Seed Ranks. The cost of a Fusion Spell is based on the Rank of the spell's Primary Seed.
- The cost of purchasing each additional ability is 2 GXP times the Rank of the ability (2/4/6/8/10)
- A Rank 4 ability is 8 GXP
- The cost of purchasing each additional power is 2 GXP times the Rank of the power (2/4/6/8/10)
- A Rank 4 power is 8 GXP
- Channelers must buy their powers in the established order of each Domain Line (e.g., they must have unlocked the Rank 1 and Rank 2 powers in a particular Line before they can unlock that Line's Rank 3 power, even if they have already unlocked Rank 3 in a different Domain Line).
Spending Skill Experience
Skill Experience (SXP) may ONLY be spent to increase a character's proficiency with a given skill.
- Each additional rank in a skill costs 3 SXP times the new Rank of the skill (3/6/9/12/15)
- Raising a skill from Rank 3 to Rank 4 costs 12 SXP.